Birthright Israel Foundation of Canada respects the confidentiality and privacy of its members, donors, participants and other stakeholders. We are committed to protecting the personal information that we collect, use and disclose, and to complying with applicable Canadian legislation on privacy protection.
1. Personal information is information about an identifiable individual. This includes an individual’s name, home address and phone number, age, sex, marital or family status, an identifying number, financial and donation information, and the like. Personal information does not include business contact information, including a person’s name, title or work contact details.
2. An individual’s information is not subject to protection as personal information when it is publicly available, such as in professional or other directories, in public registries, publicly-filed court records or otherwise appearing in published form.
Purposes for Collecting, Using or Disclosing Personal Information
3. We collect, use and disclose personal information only for purposes that a reasonable person would consider appropriate in light of the original intent and use to which the individual consented. We may use personal information to: contact and correspond with the individual; provide the individual with information on our various campaigns and programs; and as otherwise permitted or required by law. The amount and type of personal information collected is limited to that which is necessary to fulfil these purposes.
4. In the event that we wish to expand the use of an individuals’ personal information, the individual has the right not to have such information shared/used for the expanded purposes.
5. Individuals whose personal information was collected prior to the implementation of applicable privacy legislation may opt out of any collection and further use of their personal information.
Retention and Storage of Personal Information
6. We retain personal information only for so long as is necessary to fulfill the purpose for which it was collected and to meet our legal obligations. Any personal information no longer required will be destroyed or rendered anonymous.
7. We may be obliged to keep certain records to comply with applicable regulatory requirements. To the extent that we retain such records, they may include personal information. Our records are stored with safeguards against inappropriate or unauthorized access.
Disclosure of Personal Information
8. We will not disclose personal information for purposes other than those for which it is collected without the consent of the individual to whom it pertains, or as required by applicable legislation.
9. Personal information may be transferred to our parent organization in furtherance of the purposes for which it is collected. Wherever possible, personal information shared is rendered anonymous and will not include personal identifiers.
10. We assume that an individual has consented to our reasonable collection and use of personal information consistent with the purposes for which such information was provided, when such individual initiates contact with us or voluntarily provides their personal information to us. An individual may at any time contact us and withdraw their consent.
11. We comply with applicable legislative requirements regarding safeguarding personal information in our possession or under our control, including safeguards to ensure that such information is not disclosed or shared more widely than is necessary to achieve the purpose(s) for which it was collected.
12. Our personnel are authorized to access personal information based solely on their need to deal with such information for the reason(s) for which it was collected. We take reasonable measures to ensure that the integrity of this personal information is maintained and to prevent it from being lost, stolen, destroyed, or damaged.
13. We educate our personnel on the importance of maintaining the confidentiality of personal information.
This non-personal information is used for no other purpose.
15. Our website contains links to other sites. We are not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of such websites. Please review their privacy policies for further information.
Use of Service Providers
Certain organizations outside Canada provide services to us regarding marketing, data collection, and storage of personal information. We take all reasonable precautions to ensure that these service providers protect all personal information made available to them for these purposes.
Accuracy of Personal Information
16. While we implement procedures to ensure that the personal information we collect and use on an ongoing basis is accurate and as complete as possible, we rely on the relevant individuals to disclose their personal information and materials at the time of collection and when we request updates or changes. We request updates or changes only to the extent necessary to fulfil the purposes for which the personal information is or was collected.
17. Individuals may, with proof of entitlement, request access to their personal information in order to review its accuracy, or to request that we correct the personal information in our possession. We will process any updates, changes or deletion requests as soon as possible.
Notification of Changes
18. This policy is subject to change without notice. We will use reasonable efforts to post changes to this policy on our website. We will handle personal information in accordance with the version of this policy in force when that personal information was collected.
Contact Information, Access, and Inquiries
Birthright Israel Foundation of Canada
4600 Bathurst Street, Suite 317
Toronto, ON, M2R 3V3
Attention: Chaia Berkowitz, Privacy Officer
Telephone: (416) 398-7785